Crocus Fashion Retail
Aras Iskanderovich Agalarov was born November 8, 1955, in Baku, Azerbaijan.
In 1977, he graduated from the Baku Polytechnic Institute in the department for computer engineering.
From 1977 until 1983, he worked at a research institute in Baku, before serving on the Baku City Council for Trade Unions.
In the years between 1983 and 1987, Agalarov enrolled as a graduate student at the N. M. Shvernik Higher School of Trade Unions in Moscow.
From 1988 until 1990, he worked as a junior research associate at the research center of the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions.
In 1989, Aras Agalarov founded the Soviet-American joint venture, Crocus International, which later transformed into the present day conglomerate, the Crocus Group.
- The Order of Honor of the Russian Federation for his achievements in business, his many years of diligent work, and his activities in support of the community (June 26, 2013)
- The Order of Merit of the Italian Republic, rank of Commander (2009)
- The Order of the Holy Prince Daniel of Moscow, of the second class (2005)
- The Order of the Russian Orthodox Church of St Sergius, second degree (2003)
- Winner of the Milan-based MICAM Awards (2003)
- First Place in the rankings of senior executives in the field of retail, according to Kommersant (2010)
- First Place in the rankings of commercial real estate owners, according to Forbes Magazine (2010)
- Developer of the Year for the Commercial Real Estate Awards (2011)
- Developer of the Year, Person of the Year for the Commercial Real Estate Awards (2015)
- A Member of Board of the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs
- A Member of the Presidium of the All-Russian social organization, The All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress
- Founder of the Muslim Magomaev Musical and Cultural Heritage Fund
- Organizer and President of the Union of Manufacturers and Importers
- Financing the construction of the Dom s Mayakom Children's Hospice. In total, Crocus Group spent RUB 400 million on the project (2019).
A PhD candidate in Economic Sciences, Agalarov defended his dissertation on the theme of “The Formation and Use of Payrolls in a Telecommunications Agency.”
Agalarov is the author of the books «My View of Russia in an Epoch of Reforms», [Molodaya Gvardia, Moscow, 1998] and: «Russia: Reflections on the Path to the Market», [Molodaya Gvardia, Moscow, 1998].
Agalarov is married, with a son and a daughter.